Nursing Homes

If you're finding it difficult to live in your own home you may choose to move into a care home. 

Care homes provide accommodation with trained staff on hand 24 hours a day. You can choose a care home with or without nursing care. Some homes offer residential and nursing care which means you won't need to move if your care needs change.

Residential care homes give care and support with things like dressing, washing and at meal times.

Find a residential care home

Nursing care homes give the same support as a residential home, but with nursing staff on hand 24 hours a day.

Find a nursing care home

Who can move into a care home

If you'd like to move into a care home and think you might be eligible for financial help from us, we'll carry out a needs assessment to make sure a care home will meet your care and support needs.

If you'd like to move into a care home and you're paying the full cost of your care yourself, you can arrange things with the care home directly - you don't need to come through us. You should always get independent financial advice on paying for care.

Support available in a care home

The type and level of support you get will depend on your needs and whether you're in a care or nursing home but includes:

  • 24 hour support with personal care like washing, dressing, at mealtimes and going to the toilet
  • communal facilities such as a lounge, dining area and garden
  • organised activities such as group outings, hobby groups or film nights
  • meals provided
  • 24 hour medical care
  • specialist care for those with dementia, a physical or learning disability or mental health support needs

Paying for care

If your needs assessment shows that a care home is the best place for you to live, we'll work out how much you need to pay towards your care and explain the different ways to pay.

You might be able to use the value of your home to help pay your care costs using something called a deferred payment. We help to pay your care home bills now and you repay us later when you decide to sell your home, or we can be paid back after your death.



Main page source: Plymouth City Council