Help in your home

If you're struggling to get around your home due to a disability, long-term illness, visual impairment or old age, Plymouth City Council may be able to help with equipment and adaptations to your home to make it easier and safer to live independently or for a carer to look after you.

How to apply for equipment and adaptations

Plymouth City Council work in partnership with Livewell Southwest to find the best solution to meet your needs.

To find out if you could benefit from equipment or adaptations contact Livewell Southwest (adults) on 01752 668000 or Childrens Integrated Disability Service (children) on 01752 307264 for an assessment by an occupational therapist.


The assessment and some minor alterations are free. If major adaptations are needed which aren't funded, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with costs.

If your home can't be adapted

If your home can't be adapted due to structure, layout or cost, you may be able to move to a more suitable property.

A moving-on grant up to a maximum of £30,000 could be offered to assist with the cost of moving. If you don't receive a low income benefit, you'll be assessed to see if you've got to contribute towards the cost of the work.

The grant could cover:

  • Legal expenses
  • Removal costs
  • Estate agent fees

Who to contact

Email or call 01752 307303 for more information.


Useful external links


Main page source: Plymouth City Council