If you're over 18 and look after a partner, family member, or friend with an illness or disability, you can ask for a carer's assessment to look at how caring affects you and the sort of help you need.
Register as a carer
Register as a carer to get information from Caring for Carers about support and events.
Ask for a carer's assessment
The assessment will look at how caring affects:
- your life and wellbeing
- your physical, mental and emotional health
- your work, study, training, leisure
- your relationships
The person you care for needs to live in Plymouth – if they don't get in touch with the council where they live.
After your assessment
If you're eligible for our help we'll agree with you what support you need and how your needs will be met. You might be able to get help:
- with housework or gardening
- with transport and getting around, such as taxi fares or driving lessons
- to improve your wellbeing, such as a gym membership
The person you look after might be able to get:
- changes to their home
- equipment such as a hoist or grab rail
- a temporary stay in residential care to give you a break
- meals delivered to their home
- a care worker to help provide personal care at home
You might also be able to get financial support such as a direct payment to spend on things to make caring easier.
If you're not eligible for our help we can give you information and advice and put you in touch with local organisations that can help.
Main page source: Plymouth City Council